Thursday, February 28, 2008

How Did I Learn About Club 33

It must have been around Oct. of 2000, that I finally asked a wonderfully friendly work acquaintance about his gold lapel pin. An understated gold pin, consisting of the tradition three circles forming Mickey's silhouette.

Funny how you can know someone for so many years and never realize you share a common interest. Disneyland.

He explained to me that as a young man he worked in the park, his favorite assignment, driving the main street vehicles. A wonderful job to cover college expenses and meet new friends. While at the park, speaking to guests and co-workers, he learned of a small restaurant within the park that was relatively unheard of, even by cast members. Now keep in mind, this was many years ago, long before the park openly acknowledged the club's existence. In other words, tours didn't stop there.

Well, that was it for him! He knew that once he graduated college and became established, membership into this club was an absolute must. He applied, waiting many years, and is now one of the club's senior members.

I actually grew up living 1/4 mile from the park, entering the actual park at least two times per year and visiting the hotel area and shops even more often. This was long before Downtown Disney. I even fished for trout near the dancing waters. Wow, that was a few gray hairs ago! During those many years, I had seen people entering the small door with the numbered plaque and always figured it was part of the Blue Bayou, perhaps private banquet rooms. Was I ever wrong!

Within a month of discussing my friends lapel pin, my family and I were ringing the door buzzer, reservations waiting.

Things have never been the same!

No comments: